Help For Hurricane Victims
IRS – The Basics
Facts & Figures
Around The Nation
The Newsroom Topics
Noticias en Español
Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts
The Tax Gap
IRS Tax Tips
Contact Your Local IRS Office
Filing Your Taxes
Forms & Instructions
Frequently Asked Questions
Taxpayer Advocate Service
Where to File
IRS Social Media
Issue Number: Tax Tip 2022-174
An overview of the Taxpayer Bill of Rights
By law, all taxpayers have fundamental rights when they’re interacting with the IRS. It’s important that all taxpayers know and understand their rights. The Taxpayer Bill of Rights presents these rights in 10 categories.
For full official details about each right, visit the links below.
- The right to quality service — Taxpayers have the right to receive prompt, courteous and professional assistance when working with the IRS and the freedom to speak to a supervisor about inadequate service.
- The right to finality — Taxpayers have the right to know the maximum amount of time they have to challenge an IRS position and the maximum amount of time the IRS must audit a particular tax year or collect a tax debt.
- The right to privacy — Taxpayers have the right to expect that any IRS inquiry, examination or enforcement action will comply with the law and be no more intrusive than necessary.
- The right to retain representation — Taxpayers have the right to retain an authorized representative of their choice to represent them in their interactions with the IRS.
- The right to a fair and just tax system — Taxpayers have the right to expect fairness from the tax system. This includes considering all facts and circumstances that might affect their liabilities, ability to pay or provide information timely.
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: An overview of the Taxpayer Bill of Rights. http://ow.ly/KuHO50LAhfa
Back to top
Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit IRS.gov.
This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.